Food Safety

All food service businesses must apply for a health permit from the City of Sachse, which must be displayed in a visible place.  To apply please contact Environmental Health Services at  469.429.4788.

Sachse contracts with Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) to conduct periodic inspections of food establishments located within Sachse's city limits.  Food establishments should be inspected twice a year by DCHHS.  Contact DCHHS at 214.819.2115.      

At least one employee shall be a Certified Food Manager (CFM) on site for each food establishment.  All food employees shall successfully complete an accredited food handler training course.

Temporary Food Permits/Mobile Food Permits

A Temporary Food Service Permit is required for all food vendors participating in a temporary, short term,  event that is open to the public (Fall Festival,  Festival, etc.).  A Temporary Permit...

  • is valid for a period not to exceed 14 days 
  • is NOT required for private events 
  • is NOT required for nonfood vendors 
  • fee is exempt for nonprofit/charitable events 

A Mobile food unit (MFU) permit is required for all mobile food vendors.  Permit is valid for one year.  

  • are self-contained motorized vehicles 
  • are either prepackaged or, food preparation
  • A vehicle-mounted, self or otherwise propelled, self-contained food service operation designed to be readily movable (including catering trucks, trailers, push carts, and roadside vendors) and used to store, prepare, display, serve or sell food. An MFU must completely retain its mobility at all times. An MFU does not include a stand or a booth. A roadside food vendor is classified as an MFU.

House Bill #2878 was passed by the Texas State Legislature and is effective on September 1, 2023.  MFU operators will no longer be required to be permitted in each individual city within County. MFUs must obtain a mobile health permit from Dallas County Health and Human Services Environmental Health.  DCHHS Environmental Health will begin permitting mobile food units (MFUs) by appointment only. All MFUs must comply with any applicable municipal zoning, parking, fire, and/or other ordinances.

For more information for applying for MFU permits and inspections from Dallas County: DCHHS | Environmental Health Division (, (214) 819-2115.

MFU inspection location:  2121 Panoramic Circle, Dallas, TX 75212.  

Farmers' Markets 

Farmers’ Markets are exempt from the requirements of a food service establishment and do not have to comply with the Texas Food Establishment Rules.  Health authority may issue temporary food establishment permits to food vendors who sell potentially hazardous foods (time/temperature control).

229. 701-704 Farmer Market Rules

Please contact Environmental Health Services for more details at 469.429.4788.