Seasonal Update on Landscape Watering:
In 2009, the City of Sachse approved Ordinance 3128, adopting the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) Model Water Conservation and Drought Contingency and Water Emergency Response Plan as official City policy for the conservation of water.
In 2014, NTMWD approved an updated plan, and the landscape watering guidelines specified in that plan are now in place for City of Sachse residents:
- Limit landscape watering with sprinklers or irrigation systems at each service address to no more than two days per week (April 1 – October 31), with education that less than twice per week is usually adequate. Additional watering of landscape may be provided by hand-held hose with shutoff nozzle, used of dedicated irrigation drip zones, and/or soaker hose provided no runoff occurs.
- Limit landscape watering with sprinklers or irrigation systems at each service address to no more than one day per week beginning November 1 and ending March 31 of each year, with education that less than once per week is usually adequate.
- Prohibit lawn irrigation watering from 10 AM to 6 PM.
- Prohibit the use of irrigation systems that water impervious surfaces. (Wind driven water drift will be taken into consideration.)
- Prohibit outdoor watering during precipitation or freeze events.
These guidelines are to be followed unless a drought emergency is declared, in which case the restrictions will be more stringent. The specific criteria which would trigger a drought emergency are outlined in the NTMWD 2014 Water Plan, available online at https://www.ntmwd.com/documents/water-conservation-plan/
There is watering only before 10:00 am or
after 6:00 pm. No watering of any kind, including washing vehicles is
permitted between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. Watering should be
monitored and only performed when necessary to maintain a healthy
lawn. Use the link for AgriLife Research as a helpful resource.
Residential with irrigation or sprinkler systems watering schedule:
- Even-numbered home address: Thursday and/or Sunday depending on season
- Odd-numbered home address: Wednesday and/or Saturday depending on season
HOA and Commercial watering schedule: All addresses: Tuesday and/or Friday depending on season
Most lawns and landscaping do not require
constant watering. To promote deep root growth, lawns in the area need
only be watered about an inch a week. Depending on the size of the lawn,
that can usually be accomplished with one soaking a week. To get a feel
for how much watering is required for one inch of soaking, residents
can place a container in the yard and after one watering session,
measure the water in the container. Then, depending on how much water is
in the container, they can adjust their watering schedule accordingly.
Landscape Survival Guide during Watering Restrictions. Brought to you by Texas A&M AGRILIFE Research Extension.
Please click here.
Prohibited water use
Hosing paved areas, buildings, windows and or allowing water runoff.